This is the third of three introductory blogs on the Practice of Love TOY Wisdom, or Loving the One You’re With. The first, called “So What Do I Do?”, really gave a more theoretical outline and some info on the teachings that inspired me to develop it, including where the quip Love TOY Wisdom came from. The blog also provided a link and the lyrics to the song Love The One You’re With. Then it left the teaser about Matt Kahn and True Divine Nature‘s teaching of sending emails to your own heart.
The second introductory blog covered: How to send emails to your own heart, along with how to cascade a daily flood of “I Love You’s” to your own heart as a therapeutic practice.
This final introductory piece about putting Love TOY Wisdom into practice is a meditation that I devised because in my own experience, as a daily mantra meditation practitioner and a Chopra Center Primordial Sound Meditation Instructor, I have discovered that meditation opens up your “inner world” like nothing else that is also healthy and inexpensive!
There are hundreds of studies on the advantages of a daily/regular meditation practice, which are available with the magic of an internet search engine, so I do not need to site any stats here and now. Although I will be referring to the stats and info as I write about the beauty of the “Loving the One You’re With Process” because I happen to believe in mantra meditation as the best route to go, especially for people who are serious about incorporating meditation into their lifestyles. That is not to say I don’t enjoy a beautiful guided meditation, and there are many programs offered out there, including with Deepak Chopra and Oprah Winfrey (two bangs for your buck!), davidji… a former Chopra University Master Teacher, and one I recently completed which had the teachings of Osho as its lead in.
What does the practice of meditation have to do with loving yourself, you ask?
Answer: Meditation takes you inward to knowing yourself more intimately and therefor shows you the beautiful spirit-infused soul that you are, which you are then showering with love as per the practice of “Loving the One You’re With.
Add to that the indisputable fact that when you meditate, it is an act of self-ish attention, meaning it is something one does for, to, and by herself, even when in a large ballroom of five hundred meditators, including Deepak Chopra, Gabrielle Bernstein, and India.Arie, with thousands of others on-line, as I was this past August 8th in Toronto for the Global Meditation for Peace event. (It was memorable and awesome!)
So, meditation can be said to be a selfish act of devotion and when you love yourself enough to give yourself the gift of a daily meditation practice, or, you fake it till you make it, meditation leads you into a deeper self-love, more devotion and above all, an awareness of who you really are, what you really desire, what your purpose in this life is, and what you are grateful for.
Yes! It is that powerful. And it all begins with a decision to Love the One…the ONLY One…You Are EVER and ALWAYS With: YOU
Please find below an outline of my “Love The One You’re With” mantra meditation. If you are new to meditation, start slowly and ease into the length of time you meditate each day. But give yourself the present of daily attention to it for at least a month before you make a decision on keeping it.
If you already have a daily meditation practice, especially a mantra-based one like Primordial Sound Meditation, try substituting the mantra you regularly use for the words “I Love You” in your practice for at least 10 days, and then go back to your previous mantra if you prefer, substituting in the “I Love You” mantra for one day a week and especially when you have been having one of THOSE periods in your life when you require just a little more TLC.
I promise, whether you are new to meditation, are just getting your feet wet recently, have been meditating regularly for a few years, or are a seasoned life-time meditator, following the “I Love You” Meditation from Love TOY Wisdom will profoundly change your life.
One more thing…a little caveat to the “I Love You” meditation practice: Have a box of facial tissues handy for the first couple of weeks. Meditation brings up “stuff” anyway, because you are touching a part of yourself that is so beautiful and innocent that you are moved to tears, like when you see or hold a newborn baby or a little puppy or a sweet kitten, but more so. This “effect” is even more pronounced when the self you meet is being loved on by the one who knows it the most intimately. It just happens! Forewarned is forearmed…with tissue.
Oh, and by the way, what also comes up, bubbles up, eventually gushes up in a heart-opening wide awake awareness kind of way, is the pure Joy of being You!
The “I Love You” Meditation from Love TOY Wisdom:
- Take 10 minutes in the morning before you start your day, sitting with your eyes closed, upright in a comfortable position with your feet flat on the floor or cross-legged on the floor, hands held facing upright/open in your lap, in a quiet place where you will not be disturbed
- Begin by taking three relaxing breaths. That would be a deep inhale into the belly through the nose for a count of four, hold for a count of three or four, and then an exhale through the nose for a count of four, or an exhale through the mouth with a sigh. Do this three times.
- Then, with your next breath in, as if breathing the air into your heart chakra (the centre of your chest area), concentrate on what your body is feeling, and where there is any discomfort—that is, resistance to the relaxation you are creating. If you feel any discomfort either physically or emotionally, say silently, in your head, “I Love you”, and then breathe out through your nose. Keep repeating the “I Love you” mantra, whether you feel any discomfort or not…breathing in through the heart space, keeping aware of discomfort, if any. It is as if you are sending these “I Love you” s to the part of your body that is seeking your attention…for indeed, energetically speaking, it is exactly what is happening! When there is no place in your body that is restless, in pain, etc. then simply focus the “I Love you” s on your heart.
If other thoughts come into your mind, as they surely will, as soon as you notice them, just gently and easily go back to the “I Love you”s. If you hear any noises from the environment around you, or feel any sensations in your body, just acknowledge them in the same way, even with a smile of recognition of the interference, which reminds you that you are alive, and go back to repeating the “I Love you”s.
- Do this for a good 5 minutes…use a timer if you like…for several days until it is comfortable for you.
- Then add 5 more minutes to the meditation and repeat daily until you are very comfortable with the time and practice.
- Then add another 5 minutes until you are up to a total of 30 minutes daily. Or if that seems like a lot, just do whatever is comfortable for you. And I say that because it is your heart (not your mind) that ultimately knows what is feeling good, so if your heart is feeling dis-ease, tell it “I love you” and wait about 18 seconds. If the discomfort persists, stop for now. Be gentle and loving. Your Inner Child may not have heard these words for such a long time that it may be a little insecure…remember we either withdraw into unworthiness or we attack with “this is not what I need”… both are judgments that we are not ale to receive the love that we have always desired to feel.
Follow this simple practice for just 5 minutes every morning, as soon as you waken (after peeing but before anything else!) and I promise you there will be a new lightness in your heart which will translate into lightening up your life. (And the life of everyone you come into contact with…but that’s the topic for another day.)
Love the One You’re With daily in an “I Love You” Meditation
LTOYW I love you!